Pages

About Me

Mum of 2, suffering my own mental health issues, I began to write this blog as a way to release feelings and emotions. At 13 my daughter was terribly bullied which has led to her having serious mental health problems of her own. She is now 16. I wanted to document our journey and hopefully be able to look back and see how far we have come.

Saturday 5 May 2012

How did it come to this???

Towards the end of the Easter holidays, Emily started to have what I've come to call 'episodes'  She had become paranoid, adamant that people were watching her, following her, trying to hurt her. Her eyes would dart manically around the room or building.  At times she would be vague or confused.  Other times she would sob hysterically.

Emily found it hard to go out, one of the biggest problems being the fact that she felt sick all the time.  Add to the that constant headaches and it was unsupprising that she wanted to stay at home curled up in a ball.

My Mum took her to the GP for me, while I was at work.  His professional response?  "chill out with your friends, its just emotional stress"  I'd love to know how someone can do this, when they feel too ill to leave the house.

It wasn't long after that the self harming started.  At least she was able to tell me about it.  At the moment it has been limited to hitting herself.  Sometimes it's a hairbrush, an encyclopedia or a ruler.  At other times she bites her own arms or scratches her skin with a pin.

I got her a Bach's Rescue Remedy spray, I researched homeopathic remedies for sickness and headaches and gave her these to try.  I felt that if she could just get back into the routine of school after the holidays, we'd be ok.

During the first week back at school, it was tough.  On Wednesday morning, it all became too much for her.  She colapsed in a heap in the hallway and sobbed that she couldn't go to school.

I called work and told them I wouldn't be in.  I worked from home whilst trying to keep her calm. trying to get to sleep, trying to distract her, trying to heal the wounds.

I took her to the GP and was direct.  I told him that in my opinion she was depressed, stressed, anxious, paranoid and at times hysterical.

He advised he would refer us to CAMHS - Community Adolecent Mental Health Service.  I begged for something to help with the sickness so I could try and keep her in school.  The GP was reluctant, but agreed to perscribe anti sickness.

No comments:

Post a Comment